Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hristos a inviat!

Elder Nilsson and Elder Myers at Orthodox Easter Mass -- Arad, Romania


Adevarat a inviat! Happy Easter everyone! You should consider yourselves lucky that you're getting an email from me today, because practically everything else in this town is closed today because it's the day after the Orthodox Easter. 


Interior of Orthodox Cathedral in Arad, Romania during Easter Mass


On Saturday night we went to Invierea (The Resurrection) at the big Orthodox cathedral in Centru -- it's their big Easter mass where the priest lights everyone's candles. I have some pictures from it. It's crazy to think that a year ago I was in Bacau with Elder Schank!! I miss him, tell him I say hi on Facebook, haha! 


Thank you tons for all the college information. When I read the discription for BYU's Media Music major, it pretty much described everything I want to do in my life. This is actually something I've been praying about for the past month or so, and I've been feeling increasingly better and better about going to BYU. I feel like it would be the best environment to accomplish everything I want to. You can still look at what other CA schools have to offer, but I'm 80-90% sure that BYU is where I will want to go. As I was reading all the things you have to do just to get into the major, it made me really grateful that I've been writing music.............basically since I was a little kid. I still remember that little song I wrote back from when I took lessons from Sherrel Allen. I don't remember how to play it or how it went, but I do remember being so excited that I got to actually write my own song! I should have a fairly solid portfolio to offer. 


As far as the music auditions go, the only thing that worries me is that I can't read sheet music for guitar very well. Of course I could always just audition for voice, but it does suggest auditioning for as many instruments as you can. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about any of that for another six months! The one thing that has been coming to me from my prayers is the reminder that I am called to put away all personal affairs and give myself up to the work. On the one hand, that seems like a really big sacrifice, but really it's a HUGE blessing. The Lord is basically telling me that all I have to do is put everything I've got into my mission, and everything else will work out in the long run. That's what I've been trying to do. 

This has been another week full of member visits! I love getting to know everyone here, and I don't know why I didn't do more member visits earlier on in my mission. Something that I've been finding through these visits that are concentrated on helping members with their own missionary work, is that a lot of the members here already do a lot! Most of the people we have been visiting will talk about how they already pray to have people put in their path to share the gospel with, and the church always comes up in their workplace or amongst family and friends. The only sad thing is, most of the time they get the same responses that we do. They really have set a high standard and example for me though in doing member missionary work. I remember before my mission I hardly ever talked about the church or the gospel with my friends because I always thought it would be awkward or weird, and I remember whenever the missionaries challenged us to share the gospel with someone we knew I never really wanted to. I feel bad saying that, but I'm happy to say that my attitude has completely changed. 

Our English courses have'nt been very fruitfull so far. Last Tuesday Elder Nilsson and I had two students in the beginners class, and on Saturday no one showed up. The sisters and the Walquists (the senior couple here) had some though. Hopefully the lack of people was mainly due to last week being Easter week. We've been able see M--- a little more though, he came to the branch Easter party and loved it, and promised us that he would come to church this Sunday. He's such an awesome man! He's one of those people who just makes you smile whenever you talk to him, and a lot of his views and beliefs cooincide with the gospel. Today we were going to play tennis with him but when we got to the courts, they were all closed because it was too wet. It's been raining on and off pretty much the whole past week. April showers bring May flowers! Right? I hope so. Oh yeah, and more about the Easter party, we had a pretty good turnout, I think over 40 people, and we stuffed ourselves on Saormale. Yummmmm!! Before the dinner part we had a little devoitional type thing where the Walquists gave short talks about the resurrection, and I played my song ,"Vino Fiul Meu," on the guitar. It all went really well and the members all loved it!

Heather emailed me today and shared with me her posting that she submitted to a journalist company, it was really good!!!!!!!!! Man that is soo cool that she found that job opportunity, I really hope it works out for her. Speaking of writing, have you made any more progress on your book mom? It's fun to hear about all the farming going on back home. Sounds like the "Myers Farm" will actaully be a farm at some point.That's really cool. 



Right now, I'm just feeling really grateful and really blessed that I can be a servant of the Lord for two years. Underneath all the underlying trials and hard days, there is always that joy of being in the service of God that always brings me back up. I hope you all have an awesome week. Thanks for everything that you share with me each Monday!

Love,
Elder Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment